A decadent after-dinner treat, Chocolate Brownies with Italian meringue topping, is certainly is a wonderful recipe to add to your arsenal. Is your mouth watering yet? We know it is.
- 6 store bought chocolate brownies (we prefer Pick n Pay’s luxury ganache chocolate brownies)
- For the meringue:
- 300g white sugar
- 175ml water
- 4 large egg whites
- 1ml cream of tartar
- Dissolve the sugar into the water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until it reaches soft-ball stage or 112-116°C on a sugar thermometer.
- Brush the sides down with a little water to ensure that no sugar crystallizes on the side of the pan.
- While the syrup is boiling, beat 4 large egg whites (at room temperature) and 1ml cream of tartar to stiff peaks. When the syrup is ready, put the saucepan in a basin of cold water for 5 seconds to stop the cooking process.
- Slowly pour the syrup into the egg whites in a thin, constant stream while whisking continuously.
- Whisk until the mixture is cool (for about 8 minutes). Spoon into a piping bag and pipe on to the brownies.
- Using a blowtorch, lightly brown the tops of the brownies to finish off the look. You can place the brownies under the grill for a couple of minutes if you do not have a blowtorch, just be careful to not let them burn.