Ginger is the new “it” spice and will continue to trend throughout 2014. Viva la old fashion ginger ale!!
Long gone are the days when ginger was solely associated with Asian cuisine, as well as the odd ginger nut biscuit and cake range.
It can now be found remodelled in a variety of products, from wine mixers and popcorn to cordials and ice cream, and the list continues to grow. We are starting to see amazing creations with ginger in beers, sodas and cocktails; and pairing ginger with apples in yoghurts is becoming more prevalent in yoghurt selections.
Full of a rich tangy flavour and packed with health benefits it’s no surprise the ingredient is undergoing something of a revival. It can also be found dried, pickled and candied.
It’s known for its herbal health benefits that include aiding in digestion, getting rid of nose and throat congestion, reducing sea sickness and possibly lowering cholesterol, and it has always been popular among health aficionados… who doesn’t add ginger to their morning juice?
This apple and ginger green smoothie recipe is not only delicious but also packed full of vitamins to help you fight off winter flu.
- 2 cups kale – loosely packed, stems removed
- 1 apple – core removed, cut in chunks
- 2 celery stalks – quartered
- ½ banana
- ½ cup parsley
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 inch piece ginger root – quartered
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup water or lemon juice
- Ice to taste
- Place all ingredients except for the ice in a high speed blender and puree until smooth.
- Add ice to taste and pulse until creamy and smooth.
Recipe and image coutesy of The Lemon Bowl.