Gluhwein This is a traditional German/Austrian holiday drink that is often enjoyed after a chilly day of skiing, so if it works in the snow there is no doubt it will be able to keep you warm this winter. Recipe Ingredients: ¾ cup water ¾ cup sugar 1 cinnamon stick 10 cloves 2 star anise 3 cardamom pods, crushed 2 oranges 2 lemons 750ml red wine Method:
- Using a peeler, remove zest from oranges and lemons and place in a large pot.
- Juice the oranges and lemons and add it to the pot.
- Add water, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, star anise and cardamom pods to the pot and place on a high heat. Bring the mixture up to temperature and dissolve the sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture has reduced by 1/3.
- Add red wine, stir to combine and bring just to a simmer. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Remove from heat and strain. Serve immediately.