Our client is a gourmet catering company that creates bespoke menus for their clients, and they are situated in Diep River. They were established in 2004 and have since earned an enviable reputation for excellence in delectable cuisine, food presentation, efficient professionalism, exceptional service and reliability. They cater for both corporate and private clients, at all types of events. They are looking for a Head Chef to join their team.
Responsibilities and activities include:
- Management of junior staff members.
- Working to improve junior staff members’ skills and knowledge of food preparation, presentation and service.
- Shift management.
- Sourcing and liaising with suppliers to ensure that premium products are procured without compromising on affordability.
- Ascertaining order requirements for all upcoming catering jobs and
- conveying these to suppliers accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Exercising stock control including intake, rotation and wastage.
- Performing monthly stock-takes and being able to answer for any and all discrepancies, if necessary.
- Menu design and costing of all menus.
- Keeping up with food trends and demonstrating a flair for presentation.
- Planning daily schedules to ensure that all catering orders are prepped,
- plated and delivered according in chronological order.
- Ensuring that any and all products that are delivered and served by the Company are of an exceptionally high standard in flavour, freshness and aesthetics.
- Implementing and monitoring strict health, safety and hygiene measures in the kitchen.
- Driving company vehicles, should the need arise for deliveries, collections etc.
- Interact with clients in a friendly, professional manner when so required.
- Matric/tertiary education.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the same or similar role.
- Professional written and verbal language skills in English and 1 other language.
- Computer literacy on an intermediate level at least.
- Valid driver’s license and own transport to get to and from work.
- Must be reliable and punctual.
- Must have stamina, as the hours are long and unpredictable (early mornings, late nights, weekends and public holidays).
- Must work well under pressure and maintain a calm demeanour in stressful situations.
- Must be a team player and be able to boost morale.
- Organisational skill and attention to detail are essential in this role.
- Must be passionate about food and service.