Depending on how hungry you are, this dish can be used as a starter or a main. So whip out your ingredients, your kitchen utensils and let us get cooking.
Fresh Plum, Pancetta and Watercress Salad with a Plum Dressing
- 150g watercress, washed
- 10 ripe plums, washed
- 125g pancetta (or bacon), fried until crispy
- 125g buffalo mozzarella, torn
- 1 tbsp (15ml) white balsamic vinegar
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp (30ml) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45ml) vegetable oil
To make the plum dressing:
- Roughly chop up 5 of the plums, discarding the pit and place it in a heavy based sauce-pan.
- Add balsamic vinegar, thyme and sugar and heat slowly allowing the sugar to melt.
- Cook gently over low heat until you achieve a sauce like consistency.
- Remove from heat and strain plum juice through a sieve.
- Whisk in the vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper.
To assemble the salad:
- Slice the remaining 5 fresh plums into wedges and set aside.
- Arrange watercress onto a platter and top with plums, crispy pancetta and torn mozzarella.
- Drizzle with a little plum dressing just before serving.
Really quick, and full of flavour, this recipe is ideal for anyone who might have had big weekend and would like to start the week off on a healthy note.