Our client, an artisanal bakery in the buzzing Cape Town City Center, is looking for a professional Pastry Chef to operate the pastry section of the kitchen and to work closely with the Executive Chef. The successful candidate will employ its culinary and managerial skills in order to play a critical role in maintaining and enhancing their customer’s satisfaction.
Responsibilities and activities include:
- Manages all day-to-day operations of the pastry and bakery section of the kitchen.
- Prepare a wide variety of goods such as cakes, cookies, pies, bread etc. following traditional and modern recipes.
- Able to produce all baked goods including but not limited to artisan breads and rolls, muffins, laminated Danish, laminated croissants and doughnuts etc.
- Able to develop, designs, or create new ideas and items for the menu.
- Ensure excellent quality throughout the dessert offerings.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Decorate pastries and desserts using different types of icings, toppings etc. and ensure the food presentation will be beautiful and exciting.
- Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
- Monitor stocks for baking ingredients such as flour, sugar etc.
- Check quality of material and condition of equipment and devices used for cooking.
- Report all equipment problems and maintenance issues, known safety hazards, or unsafe practices and procedures to supervisors immediately.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Must possess a positive attitude and have the ability to work with a variety of people and in cooperation with co-workers efficiently and effectively.
- Able to recognise superior quality products, presentations and flavours.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Maintains cleanliness and organisation in all work areas.
- Ensure compliance with food hygiene and Health and Safety standards.
- 2 – 3 year experience as a pastry chef.
- Good knowledge of different types of pastry, dessert, and cake decorating.
- Posses a professional disposition with good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Positive attitude and good communication skills.
- Familiar with industry’s best practices.
- Relevant cookery diploma.