With Easter comes the Hot Cross Bun. The Hot Cross Bun is a spiced sweet bun traditionally made with raisins or currents that is eaten on Good Friday in South Africa and in a number of other countries.
Although the traditional Hot Cross Bun is nothing less than yummy, we decided to try a recipe that is a little less traditional and a lot more delicious – a pretty plaited, almond sprinkled, chocolate drizzled, loaf of Hot Cross Bun inspired goodness.
Celebrate the Easter holiday with this yummy pretty plaited ‘tear & share’ Easter bread.
Yield: 1 Plaited Bread Loaf or 16 Hot Cross Buns
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Proof Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 40 minutes
1 cup of full cream milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3½ cups (448 g) flour
½ cup sugar
1 large egg
2¼ teaspoons instant yeast
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Butter for greasing
1 egg beaten with 2 teaspoons milk
1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons milk
- Warm milk and butter in a pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients and place in mixer with a hook attachment.
- Add milk mixture and eggs to the dry ingredients.
- Knead dough by hand – if your arms feel like they are about to drop off, call in some reinforcements.
- Cover with a cloth and let the dough proof for 2 hours, or until it doubles in size.
- Once proofed, wrap the dough in cling film and set in the fridge overnight.
- Remove cling film, and divide the dough into 3 equal parts.
- Proof the pieces for 1 hour.
- Roll dough pieces into 3 long sausage shapes and braid.
- Proof the braided dough in a warm area.
- Brush the braided dough in egg wash.
- Sprinkle with almond flakes.
- Bake at 160 C for 30 – 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Melt white, milk and dark chocolate and drizzle them individually over the bread.
Maybe you feel like trying something a little sweeter? Why not create this masterpiece. Watch the video that Source Food developed for Pick n Pay and follow the simple steps to create the delicious surprise filled Easter egg cake.
Click here for more information on our video production.