Tuna is now in season and we have a simple, healthy, and delicious recipe for you to try at home.
seared tuna steaks
- 4 x 150g tuna steaks
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp (45ml) sesame seed vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 knob of ginger, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup (60ml) mirin
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp (5ml) sesame seed oil
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 100g tat soi, washed
- 250g egg noodles, cooked
- 10g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Place tuna steaks onto a clean chopping board and brush both sides with a little egg white.
- Coat tuna in sesame seeds and set aside.
- Place garlic, chilli, ginger, mirin, soy sauce and lime juice into a bowl and season with freshly ground pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little vegetable oil and quickly sear the tuna for 30 seconds on one side.
- Turn steaks over; add marinade and cook for a further 30 seconds or until marinade begins to boil. Remove from pan and allow to rest in sauce.
- Heat a clean frying pan with a little oil and sauté spring onions and tat soi for a few minutes or until leaves have wilted.
- Add cooked noodles and marinade from tuna and toss to coat.
- Divide noodles between four bowls, top with sliced tuna and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve immediately.
Food is love made visible, as the popular saying goes, and this meal is just that: it is a wholesome labour of love that will make your February calendar the most romantic thing under the sun.