Paella is a classic Spanish rice dish with many regional variations. This paella, from Jamie Oliver, combines chicken, smoky chorizo, fresh mussels and, to glam it up, a few tiger prawns!
What a great sharing dish, perfect for a family weekend get together!
- 6 boneless chicken breasts or thighs, skin on, each quartered
- freshly ground black pepper
- plain flour, for dusting
- olive oil
- 100g chorizo, sliced
- 6 slices streaky bacon
- 1onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 litres organic chicken stock, hot
- 2 large pinches saffron
- 1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
- 500g aborio rice
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped, stalks chopped
- 2 handfuls fresh or frozen peas
- 10 king prawns
- 500g fresh mussels
- 250g baby squid
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Season the chicken pieces and dust with flour. Heat a little olive oil in a large deep pan and fry the chicken until golden brown on both sides. Place the pieces on a baking tray and into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Put the pan back on the heat. Add the sliced chorizo and bacon and fry until browned and crispy. Then add the onion and garlic and cook until soft. Meanwhile infuse half the hot chicken stock with the saffron. Add the smoked paprika, rice and infused stock and leave to cook on a medium heat, stirring from time to time.
- After 20 minutes the rice should be nearly cooked. At this point, pour in the rest of the stock along with the peas, prawns, and the mussels and squid if you are using them. Place a lid on the pan and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Finally, add the cooked chicken and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and awedge of lemon.