No Christmas would be complete without mince pies. To start off our Christmas in July recipe compilation, we have a recipe for THE ABSOLUTE BEST mince pies, just for you. Classic Mince Pies
For the mince pie pastry Ingredients:
- 250 ml cultured cream
- 250 ml soft butter
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 ml salt
- 15 ml castor sugar
- Combine the cream and soft butter thoroughly together in a large wide bowl. Place in the refrigerator to refirm.
- Sift the flour, salt and castor sugar together.
- Add the flour mixture to the bowl containing the chilled butter mixture. Cut the two mixtures together with a knife until evenly crumbly. Press together into a ball. Rest chilled for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut pastry in half; leave the other half in the refrigerator. The pastry can be quite tricky to work with in hot weather.
- Roll into a rectangle, fold in three, quarter turn and fold again. Use for mince pies.
For the Christmas Mince Pies Ingredients:
- 1 portion mince pie pastry
- 500 g Christmas fruit mince meat
- A tot of Brandy
- Cake flour for dusting
For the garnish: Icing sugar Equipment: Traditional shallow English bun tins known as patty pan tins here in South Africa. Method:
- Roll out pastry thinly. Cut out bases measuring 7 cm i.e. just larger than the top circumference of the top of the patty pans. Cut out lids measuring approximately 6 cm. The size of the patty pans inside top measurement.
- Ease the cut bases into the patty pans. Place a small teaspoon of mince meat into the lined patty pans. Brush underside of lids with cold water and gently press on top. Chill until firm.
- Prick lids with a fork to make an air vent. Bake at 190°C until risen, crispy and golden. Remove from oven, cool and store airtight. Served warmed, sifted with icing sugar.