This takes comfort food to the next level. Curl up next to the fire and enjoy this classic winter-warmer combo for your Monday Made Easy meal.
The Croque Madame
- 8 slices of crusty bread
- 8 slices of ham
- 8 slices of cheese, such as gruyère
- 4 eggs
- 75g butter
- 50g flour
- 375 ml milk
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- For the béchamel, melt half the butter in a small pan. Add the flour and stir over a medium heat until blended. Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously into a smooth sauce. Simmer gently for 2–3 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the mustard, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to high. Lightly toast the bread on both sides under the grill. Arrange slices of ham and cheese on each, then top with béchamel sauce. Place back under the grill to brown the béchamel and melt the cheese.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a frying pan over a low heat. Fry in the egg till the white is cooked but the yolk is still soft, or to your taste. Place the toasts on a plate and top with the egg.
Quick and Easy mulled wine
- 1 litre dry red wine
- 2 (5cm) cinnamon sticks
- 1 dessertspoon whole cloves
- 1 dessertspoon whole allspice
- 1 large piece orange rind (avoid the pith)
- 1 large piece lemon rind (avoid the pith)
- 4 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the red wine, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, lemon rind and orange rind. Heat gently, but don’t bring to the boil. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and once dissolved, taste to see if you’d like to add more.
- Keep hot on medium to low heat for 20 minutes to let the flavours infuse the wine. Serve your mulled wine hot in glasses or mugs.