I love being able to prepare my Saturday night dinner party ahead of time. Confit duck is an impressive dish, infused with flavour and perfect for preparing in advance. On the day all you have to do is pop it in the oven as your guests arrive. Duck confit with spicy pickled raisins Serves 4 Ingredients for the marinade:
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Nomu poultry rub
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
for the duck confit
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled, top chopped off
- 2 cloves
- ¾ cup of rendered duck fat
- 4 Duck Marylands (leg/thigh piece)
for the spicy pickled raisons
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprigs of thyme
Method: Monday night: Marinade the duck
- Mince the 4 garlic cloves to a paste with a pinch of salt. Add to this the poultry rub, bay leaf, shallots, thyme and kosher salt. Mix well. Cover the duck pieces in the cure and marinate in the fridge for 2 days.
Wednesday night: Confit the duck pieces
- Wipe off the marinade with a paper towel. Stick the cloves into the garlic head. Place the duck fat and garlic into a wide pot and gently melt it over a medium heat. Add the duck pieces and slowly cook over a low/medium heat for 3-4 hours. Try to maintain a temperature of 80 C.
- When the meat is cooked and very tender, using a slotted spoon, transfer your duck pieces into a large bowl. Pour the fat through a fine-mesh sieve over the duck, leaving any cloudy liquid or meat juices behind. Ensure all the pieces of duck are submerged in the fat. Allow the fat to cool, then cover it and place in airtight container and keep it in the fridge.
Friday night: Prepare your pickled raisons
- Bring the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, rosemary, thyme, chilies, salt and water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally. Mix in the raisons and remove from the heat. Allow it to cool and then cover it ready for tomorrow.
- Preheat your oven to 200 C.
- Remove the duck from the fat and place skin side up, on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Season duck with black pepper and roast until skin is brown and crisp, 30-35 minutes.
- Gently heat your pickled raisons and serve with lentils and roasted vegetables.