In South Africa, in fact in the entire Southern Hemisphere, the festive season includes sun, bikini’s, swimming and general summer fun. There are no chestnuts roasting on an open fire… the only open fire around may be a festive braai in our backyard instead of the usual roast christmas lunch.
If you prefer to be outdoors on Christmas day then include these delectable prawns on your braai.
FESTIVE PRAWNS ON THE BRAAI
WITH CHORIZO, GARLIC AND LEMON DRESSING
- ¼ cup (60ml) PnP olive oil
- 1 chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 fresh tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 100g chorizo, thinly sliced
- juice of 2 lemons
- PnP salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10g parsley, roughly chopped
- 1.5kg prawns, de-veined and butterflied
- PnP olive oil
- lemon wedges for serving
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and sauté chilli, garlic, tomatoes and chorizo together for a few minutes until tomatoes just begin to soften.
- Add lemon juice, remaining oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and add chopped parsley.
- Drizzle prawns with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill prawns over hot coals or on a grill pan for a few minutes until the shells turn pink and fish is just cooked.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges and the chorizo dressing.