This is such a fun recipe to bake with the kids, we love how cute these little guys turn out, and you can make them festive for Christmas in July. Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes per batch
Yield: +- 12 gingerbread men
Allergic trigger: dairy, wheat, ginger
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 and 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp each of ground cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- Using an electric hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale yellow. Continue to mix, adding the molasses, egg and water.
- Sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, salt and spices and mix well into creamed mixture to form a dough. Refrigerate for 30minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 0.5cm thickness.
- Flour your cookie cutter before cutting out the gingerbread men. Place each cookie onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake at 180’C degrees for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Place on wire rack to cool completely before decorating.