Christmas isn’t complete without this festive favourite – serve hot or cold for family and friends. And, one of our favourite things, using leftover gammon to make the yummiest sandwiches.
FESTIVE GLAZED GAMMON
With a sticky golden crust
- 1kg gammon
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 4 peppercorns
For the glaze
- ½ cup (125ml) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Dijon mustard
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 30 cloves
- Place gammon in a large pot and cover with water.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, parsley and peppercorns to water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer for 40 minutes. (Allow cooking time of 20 min per 500g of gammon).
- Remove from pot and test if meat is cooked by piercing a skewer into the thickest part of the meat (it should glide in easily).
- Return gammon to pot and leave to cool in liquid.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place gammon into a roasting tray and peel away the skin, leaving a layer of fat behind.
- Using a sharp knife, score fat in a criss-cross pattern and stud with cloves.
- Mix together all glaze ingredients and brush liberally over the gammon.
- Roast in oven for about 30-40 minutes, basting regularly until gammon is sticky and golden in colour.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve warm with Brussels sprouts and roast potatoes.