In the heat of the South African summer there is nothing quite as refreshing as a glass of ice-cold lemonade whilst lounging by the pool or entertaining friends.
This recipe is also great to make ice blocks – freeze in an ice cube tray and pop into a glass of sparkling water for a delicate lemon zing.
refreshingly tangy and cool
Makes 1 litre
- 1 cup (200g) caster sugar
- juice of 4 lemons (approximately ½ cup)
- 1 litre of cold water
- Place sugar in a large saucepan with the water and lemon juice and place over medium heat.
- Stir constantly for 4-5 minutes or until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 6 – 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Serve with plenty of ice, lemon slices and mint leaves.