The Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has officially declared that the year 2013 be recognized as “The International Year of the Quinoa.”
Quinoa has now been singled out by the FAO as a food with “high nutritive value,” impressive biodiversity, and an important role to play in the achievement of food security worldwide.
We realize that quinoa remains unfamiliar to many people, especially in the practical sense of cooking and recipes. But we hope that situation will change, given the remarkable nature of this easily-prepared, nutrient-rich food.
So without further ado, we would like to present you with this fantastic quinoa Meat Free Monday dish that Gary has created for you.
Gary’s quinoa, avo & artichoke salad
- 10 asparagus spears, stems removed
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Handful mixed salad leaves
- Handful shaved Parmesan
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Homemade pickled shitake mushrooms (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Moldan salt and black pepper
- Grill asparagus in a hot grill pan until tender and leave to cool. Roughly chop asparagus spears.
- Mix all salad ingredients together and garnish with the Parmesan. Drizzle over olive oil and season with cracked black pepper and Moldan salt.
Gary’s tip: Add some hot smoked salmon for some extra colour and flavour.