A new year with new beginnings and mostly the same old resolutions. We haven’t done any research, just the general chit-chat amongst friends, but we reckon a majority of peoples resolutions include “eating healthier” along with get to the gym, and make more money…
Now we can’t help you with the gym or the moola but we can help you with a very tasty vegetarian stir fry which falls under the “eating healthier” category. And it just so happens to be Meat Free Monday so you can tick off that box too 🙂
Broccoli and Cashew Nut Stir-fry
A quick and healthy vegetarian meal
- 1 tbsp (15ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15ml) dry sherry (optional)
- ½ cup (125ml) chicken stock
- ½ cup (30g) raw cashew nuts
- 1 tsp (5ml) peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp (15ml) fresh grated ginger
- 4 cups broccoli florets (approx 280g)
- ½ red and ½ yellow pepper, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- sprouts to garnish
- Whisk together the soy sauce, sherry and chicken stock.
- Toast the cashews in a dry pan over a low heat and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan or wok over a moderately high heat and add the peanut oil.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 2 minutes then add the red and yellow peppers.
- Pour in the flavoured chicken stock, reduce the heat and cover the pan.
- Steam the vegetables for about 3 minutes until the broccoli is just tender.
- Add the spring onions and stir-fry for a minute.
- Toss in the cashew nuts, garnish with the sprouts and serve with noodles.