Spinach is a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin E, folic acid, iron, calcium and beta-carotene. It can help to strengthen your immune system, while increasing your levels of folic acid, iron and calcium, which all play a role in keeping your blood and bones healthy.
This Monday, make like Popeye and eat your leafy greens. Not out of the can, sailor. Try this sexier Meat-Free Monday recipe
- 1 packet (300g) spinach, washed
- 4 x stalks of lemon grass, outer layer discarded and finely chopped
- 2 lemons, peeled and cubed
- 1 knob ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 50g salted peanuts
- 50g coconut shavings, toasted
- 3 tbsp (45ml) coconut/palm sugar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) water
- Place washed spinach leaves onto a chopping board and remove stem.
- Cut each spinach leaf into rectangles the size of your hand and set aside.
- Place each ingredient (lemongrass, lemons, ginger, chillies, peanuts and coconut shavings) into separate serving bowls and set aside.
- Place coconut/palm sugar and water into a small saucepan and gently heat until melted.
- Increase heat and cook for a few minutes or until slightly reduced and thickened to a consistency of honey.
- Remove from heat and pour into a dipping bowl.
- Pile spinach leaves onto a clean wooden chopping board and place all other ingredients around.
- Place a little of each ingredient onto the centre of a spinach leaf and tightly roll up into a cylinder.
- Serve with the coconut sugar syrup dipping sauce.