Spice up your Saturday with these chicken fajitas paired with margaritas for a Mexican inspired night in. Ole!
For the tortillas
- 1 cup (250ml) flour
- salt and pepper
- pinch (1ml) baking powder
- 30g butter
- ¼ cup (60ml) warm water
for the chicken filling
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 400g skinless chicken thighs, deboned
- 2 tbsp (30ml) Mexican rub
- ¼ cup (60ml) tomato puree
butter lettuce, to serve
guacamole, to serve
sour cream, to serve
For the tortillas:
- Place flour, salt, pepper and baking powder into a bowl and mix lightly to combine.
- Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Pour in warm water and mix to form a soft dough.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes until dough is soft and smooth.
- Divide dough into 4 equal portions and roll out thinly into rounds the size of a dinner plate.
- Heat a grill pan and sear tortillas for about 1 minute on each side or until lightly golden brown. Remove and set aside.
For the chicken filling:
- Heat oil in a pot and gently sauté onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add chicken and Mexican rub and continue to fry for a few minutes to release aromas.
- Pour in tomato puree and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Smear each tortilla with guacamole and top with a few butter lettuce leaves, Mexican chicken and sour cream. Roll up into a wrap and enjoy.
Other great dishes to snack on:
Serve a bowl of nacho’s with extra guacamole and sour cream to snack on.
You can also serve a side portion of chilli con carne with the nacho’s.
Serve frozen margaritas as pre-drinks.