Spanish tapas are becoming increasingly popular in South Africa, and one of the staple recipes is the Spanish Tortilla. Similar in make up to the Italian frittata, this is like a set omelette, this dish always includes eggs, potatoes, olive oil and often spinach.
- 500g potatoes, sliced into thick slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 150ml good quality olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 6 whole eggs
- sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, and add sliced potato and onions. Cover and cook gently until softened. Drain into a colander, reserving the olive oil.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, add to the potatoes and onions with the parsley and lots of salt and pepper.
- Heat a little of the olive oil in the same pan and pour the egg and potato mix into the pan, cook until nearly set, pressing down to make into a pancake shape.
- When almost set, invert onto a plate and slide back into the pan to cook the top. Cook for 5 minutes until golden and set.
- Serve warm cut into slices.