This month we have an incredibly beautiful, mouth-watering dish created by our extremely talented Chef, Jess van Dyk. This exotic recipe with smoked lavender ice cream on an almond and honey cake, topped with nectarine puree, and decorated with honey jelly cubes, crystalised almonds, and lavender compressed stonefruits, is the perfect ‘not-so-easy’ recipe for you try at home to impress your family and leave them longing for more. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Preparation time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Almond and Honey Cake Ingredients
1 ½ cup whole blanched almonds, toasted
½ cup honey
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
Nectarine Puree Ingredients
4 nectarines, chopped
½ vanilla pod, split in half
3 tbsp sugar
½ lemon zest
1 cup water
Honey Jellies Ingredients
80 g honey
50 g water
20 g lemon juice
1 ½ leave gelatine
Lavender Smoked Ice Cream Ingredients
6 egg yolks
300 ml ream
300 ml milk
½ cup smoked sugar
6 sprigs lavender
Crystalised Almonds Ingredients
100 g granulated sugar
150 g water
100 g whole blanched almonds, toasted
Compressed Stonefruit Ingredients
2 nectarines, halved
2 peaches, halved
4 tbsp honey
½ lemon zest
6 sprigs lavender
· Whisk together the eggs and honey until pale and foamy ie. Ribbon stage.
· Blend the toasted almonds in a food processor until fine.
· Mix the ground almonds, bicarb and salt and carefully fold the mixture into the egg.
· Pour the cake mixture into well greased tins.
· Bake at 170°C for 12-15mins, or until golden and firm to the touch.
· Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and cover with water.
· Bring to a boil and simmer until the nectarines are soft and liquid is reduced.
· Pour mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
· Strain through a sieve and season with a squeeze of lemon if needed.
· Bring the honey, water, lemon juice and vanilla to the boil, add the sponged gelatine and pour into a greased container/tray.
LAVENDER ICE CREAM
· Pour the milk, cream and lavender in a medium saucepot and bring to a simmer.
· Whisk together the smoked sugar and egg yolks to ribbon stage.
· Slowly add a little bit of the hot milk mixture into the egg, while whisking continuously.
· Add the egg back into the rest of the cream and place back over a medium heat.
· Stir continuously until the mixture starts to thicken and resemble double cream.
· Strain the custard through a sieve and place clingwrap on the surface and wrap tightly.
· Place in the fridge to cool completely, about 2 hours.
· Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and churn until firm, as desired.
· In a large heavy based bring the water and sugar to the boil.
· Add the toasted almonds and stir continuously until water has reduced and sugar crystals start forming.
· Pour the nuts onto a silpat mat and make sure that they do not stick together.
· Place the fruit in a single layer in a vac bag, pour the honey, lavender and zest into the bag, and vacuum seal it tightly.