The oldest evidence for soup is from 6,000 B.C. and the recipe calls for hippopotamus and sparrow meat…we’re quite happy to stick with chicken or beef…
OR, even better, this delicious and filling roast cauliflower soup with chorizo and chickpeas from Gourmet Traveller! It will keep you warm and happy this winter!
- 1.25 kg cauliflower (about 1 large), cut into small florets
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- 170 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 chorizo, thickly sliced
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 750 ml (3 cups) chicken stock
- 375 ml (1½ cups) milk
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, drained
- 1½ tbsp sherry vinegar, or to taste
- To serve: finely grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 220C. Combine cauliflower, thyme and 100ml oil in a bowl, season to taste, spread in an even layer on an oven tray and roast until golden and tender (15-20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, scatter chorizo on a separate tray, drizzle with 20ml olive oil, roast until crisp (8-10 minutes), keep warm.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic, stir occasionally until soft (5-6 minutes). Add chicken stock, bring to the boil, add milk and cauliflower mixture (reserve a little for garnish) and process with a hand-held blender until smooth. Stir through chickpeas and sherry vinegar, season to taste and serve immediately scattered with reserved roast cauliflower, chorizo, extra thyme and lemon rind.