The festive season meal design is all about roasts and gravies and tasty, tasty family sized meals.
We wanted to indulge you with our recipe for a succulent roast turkey stuffed with cranberry, sage and pork as it is a mouth-watering addition to your festive season repertoire.
WITH CRANBERRY, SAGE AND PORK STUFFING
The Stuffing (for 1 Turkey)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 6 sage leaves, shredded
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g dried cranberries
- 500g pork mince (can also use pork sausages)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250ml) breadcrumbs
- oil for frying
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, roughly chopped
- 1 turkey, giblets removed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125g streaky bacon
For the stuffing:
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and gently sauté onions, garlic and sage for a few minutes until softened.
- Remove pan from heat, allow to cool and add the rest of the stuffing ingredients.
- Mix well together and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the Turkey
- Place the turkey onto a chopping board with the neck facing towards you.
- Using your fingers, gently lift the skin that’s covering the turkey’s breasts and spoon in some of the stuffing. (Be careful not to break the skin or the stuffing will leak out).
- Place the rest of the stuffing in the cavity of the bird and tie the legs together with some string.
- Weigh the turkey (once stuffed) and allow about 20 minutes cooking time per 500g at a temperature of 180C.
- Place onion, celery, carrots and leeks at the base of a roasting tray, and place turkey on top. Season with salt and ground pepper.
- Cover breasts and legs with streaky bacon to prevent them from drying out.
- Cover with foil and roast in a preheated oven for the calculated time or until juices runs clear from the thigh when pierced with a skewer. (Most turkeys come with a thermometer that pops out when ready).
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Serve with roast potatoes, Brussels sprouts and gravy.