The key to hosting a wonderful dinner party is ensuring your guests have a sense of being spoilt. It is the small touches like a welcome cocktail, or treating your guests to a truly great cut of meat that creates this sense of indulgence. What a simple yet beautiful way to end off a meal by finishing with coffee and these lovely rose scented Turkish delight. Rose Scented Turkish Delight
- 4 cups white sugar
- 4½ cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1¼ cups cornstarch
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1½ tbsp rosewater
- 2-3 drops rose food colouring
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm pan.
- Place the sugar, lemon juice, and 1.5 cups of the water in a pot and bring it to a boil without stirring.
- When the sugar syrup is around 100°C degrees place the remaining 2.5 cups of water in another, slightly larger, saucepan. Add the cornstarch and cream of tartar and whisk until the starch dissolves and there are no lumps. Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring or whisking constantly. When the mixture takes on the consistency of glue it is ready.
- Slowly, and carefully, pour sugar syrup into the cornstarch mixture, whisking until it is fully incorporated.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, whisking it every 8-10 minutes, for about an hour, until the mixture has turned a light golden-yellow color and is very thick and gluey.
- After an hour, remove from the heat and stir in the food coloring and the rosewater. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and allow it to set in the fridge for 4 hrs.
- Once the Turkish delight has set, powder your work station with a mixture of icing sugar and cornstarch. Turn out the Turkish delight and using an oiled knife to cut it into small squares. Dust each side of the square with the sugar mixture.