This recipe for popcorn encrusted salt and chilli squid with lime mayo is the ultimate cocktail party finger food.
Makes 15 cones
- 600g baby squid
- 1 medium bowl popped popcorn
- 1 handful dried breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 1 generous pinch flaked sea salt
- Few grinds of the pepper mill
- 2 eggs
- 75ml milk
- 150g all-purpose flour
- oil for frying
- 1 x lime
- 200ml mayonnaise
- Coriander to garnish
- Squeeze the lime juice into the mayonnaise, mix and set aside.
- Wash, drain and pat dry the baby squid
- Place the popped popcorn into a food processor and blitz to a medium sized grain
- Mix the popcorn with the breadcrumbs, chilli, salt and pepper. Put aside in a bowl
- Make egg wash by mixing eggs and milk, set aside in separate bowl
- Place the flour in a third separate bowl.
- Crumb the squid by first dusting it in the flour bowl, then taking out and dipping it in to the egg wash and finally tossing in the popcorn mixture.
- Fry in hot oil for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Place on a plate of roller towel to drain.
- Serve in newspaper cones with a dollop of lime mayonnaise and a sprig of coriander