Fattoush is a popular salad, especially in Lebanon. The great thing about fattoush is that you can add and delete veggies from the recipe according to your taste preference.
Serves 4 Ingredients
- 300g broad beans, frozen or fresh
- 100g mangue tout
- 2 baby gem, cut into quarters
- 2 spring onions – sliced
- 1 cucumber
- 3 wholewheat pita breads
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 20g bunch mint, smaller leaves picked, rest very roughly chopped
- 20g bunch flat-leaf parsley, very roughly chopped
- small bunch chives, snipped
- 170g feta cheese, crumbled
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the beans and boil for 2-3 mins until just tender. Drain & rinse with cold water to cool, then drain again.
- Pod the beans from their skins into a large mixing bowl, discard the skins.
- Halve cucumber lengthways, scrap out the seeds using a teaspoon, then slice into half-moons and throw in with the beans.
- Split the pitas so you have 6 thin circles of bread, then toast.
- Whisk together lemon zest, juice, olive oil and sugar with plenty of seasoning.
- Pour over the beans, cucumber, lettuce, spring onions and feta cheese.
- Add all the herbs and toss together.
- Tear the toasted pita into pieces and add this to the salad with the crumbled feta.
- Toss together very gently, then pile onto a platter to serve