Greek shortbread cookies are quite popular during the Easter month. In case you have wanted to make some but never known how, have a crack at this treat with this recipe.
- 240g butter, softened
- ¼ cup (60ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp (15ml) brandy – can be omitted
- 2 cups (500ml) flour
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (250ml) almonds, chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Cream softened butter, sugar, vanilla and brandy together until pale and creamy.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and mix into butter until you have a very soft dough.
- Stir in almonds and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes before shaping.
- Shape dough into little crescents and place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake biscuits for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place biscuits onto a cooling rack.
- Dust liberally with icing sugar while still warm.
- Serve once cooled with a shot of espresso or a mug of hot chocolate!
Once you master how to make these cookies you might not want to make anything else.