This spicy Thai style curry goes really well with a sharp fragrant cordial such as ginger and lemongrass. The cordial is refreshing and the ginger and lemongrass complement the flavours in the dish. Bottlegreen is a brand that is available in most supermarkets and makes a delicious cordial.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste (recipe for paste below)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bash the root end with a rolling pin to help release the oils and flavour
- 750 g chicken thighs, skinless, boneless chicken, cut into chunks
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- Handfull of basil leaves
- Handful of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- Add the onion and saute until soft.
- Add the garlic, lemongrass, green curry paste and sugar and cook for about a minute on a high heat.
- Reduce the heat slightly and stir in the chicken pieces and lime leaves until coated in the paste.
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce and soy sauce and bring to a simmer, cooking for 20 minutes until thickened.
- Tear the basil leaves into the curry then add the mint, coriander and lime juice.
- Check for seasoning.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Thai Green Curry Paste
- 6 medium green chillies, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Bunch of fresh coriander, stalks and roots attached
- 2 lemongrass stalks, chopped
- 1 lime, grated zest and juice
- 8 kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend to a paste.
- You can use it straight away
Chef Note: Thai Green Curry Paste freezes very well. Freeze in ice trays for convenient use.