Top tips for styling your food… Food styling is a fabulous career if you have the creative flare and passion for food that is required for the job. Here are my top tips for what I believe is the way to get your styling career on the road.
1. Know how to cook and appreciate beautiful food: It is essential to have a strong cooking background and flare for food. You may be required to develop recipes that can be easily interpreted, cook a delicious plate of food and style a beautiful dish
2. Understand the client and their brief: This is the most integral part of your job. Happy clients are repeat clients!
3. Plan your shoot: Prop and shop according to the brief and bring a few extras just incase things change whilst on shoot.
4. Ingredients: Always have extra, mistakes happen!
5. Fresh Herbs: Finish off a dish beautifully, home grown is even better.
6. You are only as good as the weakest link: Have an assistant that you rely on and also has a love for cooking, they are such a big part of the shoot and make your job that much easier.
7. Be comfortable with all that is thrown at you: Not all jobs that come your way are fulfilling and creative. Make sure you are can deal with all forms of food styling and the pressure that can come with it.
8. Attention to detail: You are only as good as your last job. Make sure you give every shoot your 100%.