Cacciatore is an Italian dish made with chicken or rabbit, tomato and olives. Different regions in Italy use different ingredients according to what is local. This recipe is simple but full of flavour, perfect for those cold winter nights.
- 30ml olive oil1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 lemon peel
- 8 skinless chicken pieces
- 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato puree
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 250g pitted black olives
- 10g fresh parsley, chopped
- Rissoni (pasta rice) to serve
- Heat a little olive oil in a heavy based pot and sauté onions, garlic, celery and carrots for a few minutes or until golden brown.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, lemon peel and chicken and brown well.
- Pour in wine, tomato puree and chicken stock and allow to simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked and is tender.
- Stir in olives and chopped fresh parsley and serve with Rissoni.